Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The softer side of electric guitars

The Stratocaster
I recorded this track not too long ago, right after I got my Squire Stratocaster. The maple neck, single coil pickups and tremolo really combined to give a guitar sound that I could not achieve before with my Epiphone, and I felt really inspired.

My Pink Floyd
score tattoo
The lead guitar was carefully written along with the backing track, not using my usual approach of improvising over and over again until I hit something I like. I even saved the project as Study in G minor, as it felt like I was taking a much more methodical approach than usual, like I was studying the key of G minor - just as someone with actual musical knowledge, unlike myself, might do. The synth chord progression was chosen from a part of the keyboard track from Shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd, which is one of my all time favorite songs (so much so that I even have a tattoo with part of the guitar solo score on my leg).

The synth plugin blew me away, it sounds awesome, and it has named parameters such as 'Butter', which I really thought was great. The user interface is really friendly, the included presets sound cool, I can only repeat myself by saying how pleased I was by this little chunk of software. Here is a link to the VST [link] - it is free, which is a really valuable attribute for anything these days.


I hope you like the track. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment