Saturday, March 24, 2012

Suspended in a sunbeam

I finally got around to mixing down and tweaking a draft that has been sitting on my shelf for too long. I think this is one of the most complete songs I ever managed to write and record. The speech at the beginning is from the first chapter of Dr. Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot, entitled You are here. I have the audio from this [link]. (No copyright infringement intended.) The working title for this piece is 'Suspended in a sunbeam' - no doubt you will guess why after a listen.

I wanted to take a peek into what it means to think in a post-rock fashion. I really can't judge whether I succeeded or not, maybe you can be of assistance with this issue. I usually find myself in trouble categorizing my work.



The mix is far from perfect, somewhat uneven at parts, the kick drum could have a bit more... well... kick, there are some peaking parts, the solo guitar is a bit off and whatnot, but this is a track that I am sure I will take the time to rerecord, and mix properly, as I am really pleased with it. Maybe even include some keyboards - I can't decide if it makes it too crowded or not.

I am really curious of what anyone else thinks about this concept, so please, if you give it a listen, leave a comment on YouTube, any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment